Saturday, February 27, 2010

Fresh

Fresh is the name of a charming gift boutique in the Wedgwood neighborhood in Seattle. It is also the newest shop to carry my pretty things!

I found Fresh about a year ago when I was temping for a dentist down the street (this was when jewelry designing was just a hobby of mine). I was drawn into their shop during my lunch break by the sparkles of their massive chandeliers, specialty clothing, lovely jewelry, and a purse that I still lose sleep over. I thought to myself that I would LOVE to one day see my jewelry through those windows.

A few weeks ago I had an appointment in the Wedgwood neighborhood and needed to kill a half an hour and remembered that cute shop over by Starbucks and Top Pot (best donuts in the world!). I thought I'd slip on in to see what kind of jewelry they were carrying and if my pieces would be a good 'fit' with their captivating collections.

Julia, one of Fresh's owners, greeted me with a great big smile and a "Welcome!" She complimented me on my necklace (this is the best advice I can give to any jewelry artist... "Wear your work!") and she asked me where I got it. I crinkled my nose and admitted that I made it and that I am a jewelry designer. (I still roll my eyes at myself when I say I'm an artist.) It was my letter 'T' from my Donnatienne, recycled fine-silver collection, that I wear ALL the time. I was also wearing one of my 'Hugs and Kisses' from my 'Ace,' vintage typewriter key line. She loved them both and asked me to send in a submission of my work so that her partner, Wendy, could see my pieces as well and decide if they wanted to carry them.

I met with the both of them shortly there after. Wendy loved the pieces so much that she immediately placed the 'W' Donnatienne around her neck and it was still dangling there the next day when I brought in their first wholesale order.

It's incredible flattering to have such a lovely store choose my work. My pieces are so personal to me because of the way I make them. They are completely handmade by me and my two hands (there is often a fingerprint or two of mine still in the fine silver). My goal has always been to have ten stores in the Seattle area carry my jewelry and selling to Fresh has gotten me halfway to there. Fresh makes it five stores and I am tickled pink, to say the least!

No comments:

Post a Comment